Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

95 mustang v6 leaking coolant behind the new water pump..hoses

95 mustangv6 leaking coolant...
95 mustangv6 leaking coolant behind the new water pump. worse when turned on. does not appear to be the pump or any hoses.
6/27/2010
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

If the leak is behind the water pump , then either the new water pump gasket is leaking or the timing cover from the timing chain that the water pump bolts to is leaking and the gasket between the timing cover and the engine block.

graphic

#179 in the diagram above. It is called the engine front cover (timing cover)

I think that it is the timing cover. Seems to be a bit further back from the water pump and at the blokc and not as far back as the heads. Would the timing cover gasket cause it to leak slow when off then come out fast when off? Just after I installed the water pump it started just a slow steady drip. Then after I ran it for a minute it gushed. When off it dripped faster for a little while. Still dripping after 3 hours. Rad is about half full. Guess this was the next weakest point in my coolant system! Thanks
Yes. A couple of the water pump bolts are actually studs that go through the timing cover to the engine block. When the nuts are loosened, the timing cover also loosens. If the gasket for the timing cover is close to failing, it will start to leak. The reason it doesn't leak much with the engine off it because the water pump is not running and no real pressure is on the system. When the engine is running, the cooling system builds up pressure, usually 16 psi and it will push through a weak gasket.
Do you think that I could have screwed up an put a few of the wrong bolts back in the wrong spots in the pump? I think that they were all the same size. But at 151000 miles that it is just going to need a new gasket regardless!
I think it is just in need of a new gasket at 151000 miles. The bolts will really go in one way and the nuts on the studs will tighten up when in the correct place. If you removed the studs, then the gasket is in need of replacement.
A. Penland
Thanks. I appriciate it!
Anytime. That is why I am on here.

Got that taken care of. Now it idles smooth. Seems to have all the air out of the coolant lines. BUT when I drive it, it runs with the temp gauge to the red, then cools off to the center, then back to almost the red. The only time the heat kicks out hot air (heat on the whole time) is when it gets to the red and immediately goes to the center. At this time, it runs rough. After it cools off, it idles great, runs great for a short while. Think it is a head gasket?

Thanks again,

There should be a bleeder cap bolt located on top of the engine near the front of the intake.It is right above the thermostat on the intake manifold.

graphic

When the engine is cold, remove the bleeder bolt and fill the radiator with coolant till the coolant comes out the bleeder opening. Then reinstall the bleeder bolt and start the engine. Let it warm up and then loosen the bleeder bolt, do not remove it, just loosen it and let some coolant come out and then close the bleeder. Top the coolant off and drive the Mustang.

The problem you have is an air pocket in the cooling system.

Thanks. I will give it a shot, but I have some coolant in the oil now. Should I still try that or check the heads?

Thanks

If you did not change the oil after replacing the timing cover gasket, I would recommend you doing this along with the oil filter.

But if you have changed the oil and filter, and you still see coolant in the oil, it could be a head gasket or the timing cover gasket.

Let me know if you did.

Yeah, it has coolant in the oil, NOT MUCH. Heads were not warped suprisingly. Looks like the issue was that the cooland was never changed by previous owners (from inspection of the heads). The gaskets were barely blown.

Was the coolant found in the oil after the repairs were done and the oil was changed, or before?

I did not change the oil. I noticed that the last leak in the coolant was from the water pump not being tigntened down far enought when I went to change the timing gasket. I thought I checked all the bolts. The oil had been changed before any repairs about 500 miles ago.
Ok. Then just change the oil and filter. If the coolant leak was from loose waterpump and timing cover bolts, then coolant will leak into the oil.
<p>Ok, we changed the head gaskets. The pump was put on fine (unfortunately) .The heads checked out fine (amazingly!). The head gaskets were barely blown. We put it back together and it runs fine, even smoother than before!. BUT now when it runs for about 15 or 20 minutes, it suptters then dies. It does NOT overheat. Oil still clean. No coolant loss. changed the coil pack and no change. If you let it cool off for an hour, it starts back up fine and will run jujst fine again. If not, the starter will turn the motor but will not start. I did NOT check for fuel or spark. We did clean the injectors when it was apart, did not disconnect the fuel line. No service engine or other 'dummy lights' come on. All other gagues are normal. Any ideas?</p><p>Thanks again,</p><p>Mike</p>
You need to see if you are loosing spark or fuel. It may be a fuel problem. But check fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail when the engine won't start.
Ok. I'm out of town. My friend is driving it and so far it has not died again. ill check it again this weekend by trying to make it die on me and let you know.
thanks

Keep me informed. What ever happens.