Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Some type oil/fluid on the garage floor where I park..It was..sitting…

Customer Question
I've noticed a small amount...
I've noticed a small amount of some type oil/fluid on the garage floor where I park..It was about the size of a quarter, over a period of 2 days with truck sitting a size about a baseball size is under it. Can you give any indications what what it might be? It's coming from the rear area not the front Thanks Jenny

Its a 2004 Sports Trac 2WD 105,000 miles
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/26/2010
Ford Mechanic: Nathan Hosier, Senior Master Gas and Diesel engine replied 8 years ago
Nathan Hosier
Nathan Hosier, Senior Master Gas and Diesel engine
Hi if it is coming from the rear you may need to look at the rear end where the driveshaft connects to rear end there is a seal behind there that can leak. Also check the rear cover to make sure that it is dry.It is the back side of the rear end. Also there is a rear seal at the rear of the transmission that can cause a trans leak if the fluid is a red color then I would suppesct the leak is coming from the trans rear seal rear hope this information helps thanks.
It isn't red in color..it is oily tho...shoould I take it to a transmission shop or a regular mechanic? Do you have any idea what the cost should range in to repair if it's either of the things you described?

Ok if it is not red in color then it is probaly the rear end leaking from somewhere.Yes it would probably be good to take to mechanic if it is the pinion seal leaking around hear it would cost around 200 dollars not sure what your labor rate is around there hope this helps thanks for the reply