Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Taurus: we got it pulled out within an hour

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Taurus...
I have a 2000 Taurus, I hit a washed out culvert & it threw me into a ditch full of water. I shut the engine off imediatly & we got it pulled out within an hour. I was 2 miles from home so we pulled it. I had the key on so I could steer & the fuel pump ran pretty much the whole way. I changed all the fluids & when I tried starting it the fuel pump wouldn't run. I thought I had burnt it out so I replaced it with a new one but the pump still doesn't run. I've checked all the fuses & relays that I know of & the emergency fuel shutoff switch seems to be ok. If we spray carb cleaner in the air intake the motor will run but there is no fuel pressure. I don't know what else to check, can you help me out. I should have disconnected the battery right away but I didn't think of it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/26/2010
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Do you have a test light to verify that power is going through the inertia switch?

Thanks, Eric

Yes, I have a test light but I haven't tried that. Is that something one person can do or would I need to get someone to help me test it. Would I have to take the tank out far enough to unplug the fuel pump & hold the light at the end of the wireharness while I turn the key on?

Remember to reset the inertia switch push down on the red button on top. To test power at the fuel pump directly, that is how you would do it. I don't think you'll even have to lower the tank. I think you should be able to do this on your own. First, you should just check for power at 1 of the pink/black wires at the inertia switch. When you determine which wire has power, with the connector plugged in, pierce the other wire or back probe it to make sure voltage is flowing through switch. You will need to hook up the test light in a manner where you can see it when you turn the key. The fuel pump circuit is energized for 3-5 seconds only,.after turning the key to "run". So you may want to check a few times to make sure you get a correct reading. Let me know what you find.

Thanks, Eric

If you received helpful information from by using Just Answer, please remember to click "accept" so the technician gets credit.

Thank you