lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis: headlamps..dashboard..flickers..Lighting

Customer Question

The headlamps on my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis aren't working. They work whenever they want to, and the digital display on the dashboard sort of flickers now and then. Would this be a problem with the Lighting Control Module
(LCM)? I've read up on it and that's the only solution I see. Would replacing the LCM fix the problem? I was thinking of buying a new LCM online, but dont know anything about them, just that I can replace it thanks to your step by step instructions. Well anything help would be appreciated since I work graveyard shift. Thanks.
_Ruben
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, from the description you gave it sounds like a lighting control module, but here is a quick check you can try, when the lights go out again, take your right foot and kick the bottom of the dash above the fuel pedal and see if the lights come back on then, if they do then the module has a short in it and will need to be replaced for the repair, here is the procedure to replace the module, hope this helps.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

graphic

1. Remove the LH instrument panel lower insulator.
1Remove the pin-type retainers.
2Disconnect the courtesy lamp.
  1. If equipped with adjustable pedals, remove the accelerator pedal, and shaft.

graphic

1. Position the LCM aside.
1Remove the screws.
2Release the locking tab.

graphic

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the LCM.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Check for correct operation.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. Yeah, I hit the lighting module with my hand to see if the lights turned on and they do, but after a while the lights turn off again. So then I just hit the panel again. So it is the LCM. Thank You. Where would I be able to get another Lighting control module to replace it. Online?
Expert:  lostrider replied 8 years ago.

That may be a problem, if you purchase a used one on line it may have the same concern yours has, and the only place I have seen them is from the dealers , there are some online Ford dealers that sell their parts at wholesale prices, here is one of the web sites that I use, hope this helps.

www.teamfordparts.com