Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Repair for my F150 with P1537 and P1538 codes on the OBD?

What would be the repair...
What would be the repair for my F150 with P1537 and P1538 codes on the OBD?
6/26/2010
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician

Hi this is lostrider, the 2 codes you have are for the intake manifold runner controls being stuck open, the usual cause for that concern is the plastic grommets break off that hold the retaining rods from the controls to the runners, those parts are about $10.00ea and requires 2, one for each runner, but have also seen where the diaphragm in the controls go bad and leak vacuum, then the controls have to be replaced, have never had to replace the intake runners, but to check and see if the grommets are broke, you will need to remove the upper intake, the manifold runner controls are located on the back of the engine and bolted to the lower intake, and to check the controls you will need access to a vacuum gun to check the diaphragms, here is a diagram of the runner controls, #1 is pointing to the control and #2 is pointing to the vacuum line. hope this helps.

graphic

lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Would this be a possible cause for the engine to stall out at stop lights?
Yes, its possible.