Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 ford escape: abs system kicks..a computer problem..mechanical…

Customer Question
My 2002 ford escape ABS...
My 2002 ford escape ABS system kicks in on a random basis on perfectly dry driving conditions. Is this a computer problem or a mechanical. My wife gets very nervous when this happens and it is her car. Is there a solution or should we just trade it. Thanks for the help. GDG
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

This is due to a faulty ABS control module which is attached to the hydraulic unit. There are internal relays that stick and activate the abs system prematurely. These relays are not servicable. You will need to replace the control module. To do this, remove the control module and hydrualic assembly and separate control module from the hydraulic unit:

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Remove the air cleaner and the air cleaner outlet pipe.
  • Disconnect the brake line-to-Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) fittings.
  • On vehicles with 3.0L engine , remove the HCU-to-master cylinder brake tube fittings.
  • Remove the 3 HCU bracket-to-frame bolts.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector by rotating the protective cover.
  • Remove the 3 bracket-to-HCU bolts.
  • Remove the HCU.
  • Remove the 3 screws and the ABS module.
  • Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:
    1. Tighten the ABS module screws to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
    2. Tighten the 3 bracket-to-HCU bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
    3. Tighten the 3 HCU bracket-to-frame bolts t o 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
    4. Tighten the HCU-to-master cylinder brake tube fittings (3.0L engine): 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
    5. Brake line-to-HCU fittings: 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).

• Bleed the brake system.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the harness connector (1), brake line-to-HCU fittings (2), HCU bracket-to-frame bolts (3), ABS module screws (4), ABS module (5), Bracket-to-HCU bolts (6) and HCU (7)

•  

• Remove the 3 ABS module screws and remove the ABS module.
  • Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the ABS module nuts to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  •  

The hydraulic unit can ONLY be bled with a diagnostic scanner. So, if you replace this yourself, you will have to have it towed to a shop to be bled with a diagnostic scanner, otherwise the pedal will go to the floor.

You can get a remanufactured control module from NAPA for around $300

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
    EricFromCT
    EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. I feel you should first look at the ABS sensor tone rings. They are located on the end of all the axles. Near the back of the rotor. The tone rings frequently crack. Inspect them for cracks. If you touch them they may be loose. You also may need to spin the wheels to get a full 360 look at the rings. Hope the info helps.

Thanks, Eric