Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 ford: My tilt steering wheel latch is broken..engage..XLT…

Customer Question
My tilt steering wheel latch...
My tilt steering wheel latch is broken. The sterring wheel is in the down position and the handle will not engage. 1997 ford XLT, What is your estimate cost for having the problem repaired in a Ford shop.?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX just the handle break off of this?
No sir. I can move the tilt lever up/down withou any binding.
So the it wont lock into place?
The steering wheel is in the down position.. It is locked in the down position. I can pull the lever toward me and the tilt will not unlock. I cannot get the steering wheel in the "up" position. Yes - the steering wheel is locked.