Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

windstar: gauges stop working..changed alternator and ignition switch…

Customer Question
i have 03ford windstar 3.8l...
i have 03ford windstar 3.8l. intermitent loss of power to dash,gauges stop working and battery light comes on and van starts to discharge. changed alternator and ignition switch.ichecked all fuses in power box under hood and fuses under dash. checked all visible connections under dash and under hood.when gauges stop working(fuel,temp and tach) i still have power to radio,windows and a.c. please help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: James, Auto Parts Store Owner replied 8 years ago
James, Auto Parts Store Owner
Hello

It sounds like your Front Module is bad, also sometimes called a GEM module. These are very common to go out in the windstar. They can be form a Ford dealer, but will need to be programmed to the vehicle. If you call the parts department at you local ford dealer they will know what you need. If they don't tell them you need the front module with a base number of 13c788 or 14B205 sorry i can remember which one it is.If i satisfied your answer please remember to accept the answer so I can get paid. Thanks
James, Auto Parts Store Owner
where is the gem box located in this van (03ford windstar 3.8L)
it is under the dash, im not sure exactly where, my diagram just scatters the parts all over the dash, it looks like it may be near the center . I found the part number for you though, the part number is XXXXX you might have to call you local Ford dealer, they may have a better description of where it is. than what i have. The middle part of the number will be 13c788, when you find a module with that number it is what you are looking for. I will be gone all weekend, so I cannot answer any more questions, but if you still need help on Monday let me know.