Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford explorer: ac..stalling..35mph now and check engine light came on…

My daughter was given an...
My daughter was given an older ford explorer, then moved out of state. Of course, the ac stops working...but she just texted me and the suv wants to keep stalling after a couple minutes, won't go over 35mph now and check engine light came on. Where they live, you almost have to travel by interstate and she's an hour from her home. Any ideas???
6/25/2010
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Ron :

The problem you are describing in most cases is caused by a failing fuel pump and in most cases replacing it will correct the problem she is having, I would start with have the fuel pressure tested by instaalling a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail service port and monitor fuel pressure when the problem is occuring, you need to see 35 to 45 PSI, anything elses and she will need a new pump.

Ok dumb question, what and where is the fuel service port?
The fuel rail service port is a shrader valve on the drivers side of the fuel rail. (top of intake manifold).
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
graphic
Thanks so much! now only if her husband knew how to work on her vehicle!

Yes that would be helpful, your very welcome and thank you very much as well.

One last thought, make sure they check the fuel filter before testing the pump, a dirty filter will cause low pressure as well.