Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

89 ranger: 4 cyl..drive..awhile..few seconds then dies..ignition module

Customer Question
I have a 89 ranger...
I have a 89 ranger 4cyl manual trans last week i drove about 50 yards it quit when i tried to start it acted like timing was off. sat for awhile now it will start and run few seconds then die when try to restart still acts like timing off. timing bely looks good i took off ignition module had checked showed good
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Let's see if we can narrow down if the problem is with spark or fuel related issue.
When the vehicle will not start try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle. Will the vehicle start with a shot of extra fuel?
If so, there is a fuel delivery issue such as a bad fuel pump or failing fuel pump relay.
Make sure the check engine light is illuminated while the key is in the run position.

If you can't get a clear idea if fuel pressure is present, try to verify spark is present.
To check for spark remove the spark plug wire from the plug.
Using the engine for ground, check for spark to jump from the end of the wire to ground. Do this while cranking. The engine should produce a blue 1/2" spark. Should spark, spark, spark as you crank.

Can you get me this information before moving on?