Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

94 ford crown victoria: my car..new gasket..transmission fluid…

Customer Question
my car is a '94...
my car is a '94 ford crown victoria. i bought it a week ago off a private deal. the guy said he put on a new gasket something something and put in transmission fluid. it ran fine. now, its been stalling more and more, somethings been leaking gradually from the bottom of the car, and its been smoking more until i tried desperately tried to drag it home where it was totally billowing so much smoke that if i ran down the windows, it'd fill the whole car with it...what in the world happened? i didn't get into any collision or anything! the only thing i might have done wrong is on the highway i was taking an exit ramp and hit the brake a little hard and the battery died. i had to put it in park, restart the engine, n it was fine. but i don't think i could've done it that hard...i didn't even jerk back from inertia. please help me? if you have any idea of what the problem is, how much would it cost??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Did any warning lights come on? Have you checked fluid levels to see which one is low or can you see any puddles under the car, or how about is anything wet with a fluid ?
the check engine light came on but goes off when car is restarted and didnt come on again..something wasl eaking but gradually slowed when the car was parked..looked brown...most of it coming from right in the middle under hood or a little to the right of the car..
Did you check engine coolant and transmission fluid levels, was it oil or more water based ?
ah i towed it and the mechanic said the front seal or something was leaking and i need to rebuild the transmission..because it overheated and got jacked up more..which depending on damage will be between $700-1400...isn't there any other solution? the other fluid levels seemed fine..it was oil based def, if that applies anymore

AS an alternative you can look for a used transmission at Car-Part.com There are 26 pages of used transmissions here. You can shop locally or regionally, do not be afraid to offer a little less than the asking price. I have included some screen captures for you. Many with less than 50,000 miles on them.

graphicgraphicgraphic