Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine block and the spacer plate to the water pump..gasket…

Customer Question
I have a coolant leak...
I have a coolant leak between the engine block and the spacer plate to the water pump. How do I replace the gasket on the spacer plate?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: david, Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
david
david, Auto Service Technician
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

Is this what you are calling the spacer plate?
graphic

Is this it? If so this is the engine front cover / timing cover.

To remove

1. Drain the cooling system and the oil from the crankcase.
  2. Remove the radiator
  3. Disconnect the lower radiator hose, then remove the fan, fan clutch and shroud.
  4. Raise the van and support it with jack stands.
  5. Disconnect the fuel line from the injection manifold.
  6. Lower the van.
  7. Remove the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor from their mounting brackets, if so equipped.
  8. Remove the bolts holding the fan shroud to the radiator, if so equipped. Remove the fan, spacer, pulley and drive belt(s).
  9. If necessary, disconnect the heater water hose and remove the water bypass tube.
  10. Remove the crankshaft pulley from the crankshaft damper.
  11. Remove the oil pan-to-cylinder front cover attaching bolts. Use a sharp, thin cutting blade to cut the oil pan gasket flush with the cylinder block. Remove the front cover and water pump as an assembly.
  12. Discard the front cover gasket.
  13. Place the front seal removing tool (Ford part no. T70P–6B070–B or equivalent) into the front cover plate and over the front of the seal as shown in the illustration. Tighten the two through-bolts to force the seal puller under the seal flange, then alternately tighten the four puller bolts a half-turn at a time to pull the oil seal from the cover.

Loosen the oil pan-to-front cover bolts
graphic
Remove the front cover seal using tool T70P–6B070–B or equivalent
graphic
Remove the timing chain cover from the van
graphic

To install:

1. Coat a new front cover oil seal with Lubriplate® or equivalent and place it onto the front oil seal alignment and installation tool (Ford part no. T70P–6B070–A or equivalent) as shown in the illustration.
  2. Place the tool and the seal onto the end of the crankshaft and push it toward the engine until the seal starts into the front cover.
  3. Place the installation screw, washer and nut onto the end of the crankshaft, then thread the screw into the crankshaft. Tighten the nut against the washer and tool to force the seal into the front cover plate. Remove the tool.
  4. Apply Lubriplate® or equivalent to the oil seal rubbing surface of the vibration damper inner hub to prevent damage to the seal. Coat the front of the crankshaft with engine oil for damper installation.
  5. Position the gasket on the front cover, then apply silicone rubber D6AZ-19562-AA or its equivalent to the oil pan and cylinder block junction.
  6. Cut the pan gasket and position it on the front cover.
  7. Install the front cover.
  8. Line up the damper keyway with the key on the crankshaft, then install the damper onto the crankshaft. Install the cap screw and washer and tighten the screw to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm). Install the crankshaft pulley.
  9. Connect the fuel lines.
  10. Install the fan, pulley and drive belt(s).
  11. Install the bolts holding the fan shroud to the radiator, if so equipped.
  12. Install the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor.
  13. Install the radiator.
  14. Connect all hoses.
  15. Fill the cooling system and the crankcase with oil.
Install the front cover seal using tool T70P–6B070–A or equivalent
graphic

Hope this helps
Good luck