Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Ford F350: 4x4..air condition cools at idle..high pressure…

I have a 2001 Ford...
I have a 2001 Ford F350 7.3 4x4. The air condition cools at idle some what, but not highway speeds. The receiver dryer has been changed, high pressure switch.
6/25/2010
Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

There are few different things that can cause this way you need to do is install a senate pressure gauges with the air conditioning on rev the engine up to highway speed see if the compressor clutch remains engaged and running if it does not Remain engaged check for power on that an wire with the light green tracer if you have power on this wire in a good ground on the black wire you have a faulty compressor clutch . If you have no power on that wire then check your pressures to see if the high pressure side has climbed past 400 pounds , as this will shut the system down . If you pressures look good and there is no power to the clutch , Using 2 paper clips, fabricate a jumper across the Purple (P) and Red/Yellow (R/Y) wires at the Low Pressure switch and the R/Y and Tan/Light Green (T/LG) at the High Pressure switch. If compressor now runs, remove paper clips 1 at a time to detect faulty pressure switch

I am sorry for the delay. I work two jobs, and have not been able to turn loose of the truck so I can check it. I do plan on checking this week, as it is very hot. Will pay you don't worry. I have used this service before. Thanks for your patience.

Aaron

ok thank you

Sorry about the delay. I am going to have to try and fix the A/C my self. I will be back in touch with you saturday. Hope you understand.

Aaron

Okay thank you let me know if you need more help

Sean, I have put on a new A/C compressor, dryer, orvice tube. The best it cools is around 48 to 50. This is going down the road. The temp. here is 85 with 40% humidity. At idle it is about 50 to 55. HELP!!!!

Aaron

First right age and garden hose and surly washing out if the air conditioning condenser, then tell me what what the system pressures are both on the high side and the low side while the engines at idle and the air conditioning is turned on
Sean, just came back in, not sure what you mean by First right age and garden hose and surly washing out if the air conditioning condenser,
That was a typo on my part , burst thing we want to do is use a garden hose and thoroughly wash out the air conditioning condenser
Sean, low side is 30 high side 170 to 175

add some more freon make the low 40-45 and the high 200-250

try not to let either one go any higher than 50 and 250

Sean, i will have to do it tommrow i am out of freon. Will you be available then, if so what time?
Just reply back to me here and I will be on sometime tomorrow is not vital reply back you on Monday
Sean i just found some freon, the low side stayed on 28 to 30 high around 180
It should be getting a little bit colder as you get higher try to get the high pressure side up over 200 P si preferably around 225
ok i will be back
Okay thank you
The low pressure lines are frosted up where they go into in side, low side still on 28 to 30 high 180
very good if theres a frosted low side the system should be full , the ac should be cold now

The air is blowing around 42 is this the best i can get

thats very good

you would be hard pressed to get that from most vehicles

Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

You're welcome any time