Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ford: 4.6 triton that blown up and a hole in the block.

I was wondering what is...
I was wondering what is the differince in the ford triton 4.6 and regular ford 4.6 engine other than horse power? I have a 4.6 triton that blown up and a hole in the block. I got a crown vic motor that is rebuildable. I there a differince in the heads or camshafts or pistons and what else?
6/25/2010
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

All 4.6L engines are triton engines. Triton is just the name of the engines design. On the truck the word Triton sounds kind of hefty so they display it. On the crown victoria, hefty is no the focus so it does not say Triton anywhere on the vehicle. All you need to make sure is both are romeo or windsor engines if your interchange the block or heads, Anything outside of the long block is interchangeable.

Customer:

what about the horse power difference? I read that the horsepower was different. How would that affect the performance of the truck. I was also wondering what is the piston to bore tolorences are for rebuilding a 4.6 block not the specs new but rebuild tolerences

Chris (aka- Moose) :

The horsepower difference is going to be the PCM fuel strategy and the exhaust differences and the lack of a fan on the front of the crown vic engine. Internally in the engine there the same specs. Ford does not offer a option to bore the cylinders and install larger diameter pistons so they supply no specs for the max size you can go up to.

Customer:

I was talking about the clearence between the piston and the cylbore. I know the specs on new motors are .0005 to 1.00 but what is the max tolerince before it needs new pistons or boreing?

Chris (aka- Moose) :

Ok here are all the specs from ford just in case more are needed, Click here

Customer:

thank you

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Your welcome