Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ford escape: very rough idle and once in drive the engine is very weak…

Customer Question
my ford escape is reading...
my ford escape is reading code p306 when i go to start it when the engine is cold it will start but has a very rough idle and once in drive the engine is very weak
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: CTFordTech, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Typically a P0306 code is due to a Ignition Coil that is becoming weak. What recommend doing since you probably do not have the proper equipment to test the vehicle is clear the code and swap the number 6 coil with another one on the motor and drive the vehicle. When the light comes back on see if the cylinder misfire has changed, If so, you know the coil is bad. # XXXXX is on the front of the motor, last one to the right or drivers side. (Cylinders 4, 5, and 6 are on the front of the motor).

we swap the coils 5 and 6 and now is p0306 and p0305
If the misfire changed when you swapped the coils, I suspect a bad coil and recommend replacing the ignition coil with a new one.
ok do i need to replace #5 and # XXXXX now because the mis fire was just on # XXXXX and now is on #5 and # XXXXX after i swap the coils
No, You can either just replace #5 since you moved 6 too 5 or you can move the bad coil back to #6 and replace #6. At this time you will only need to replace one coil.
Please accept when you are fully satisfied