Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 F-250: Crew cab..changed the door handle..manually..pulling…

Customer Question
How can I get my...
How can I get my back door unlocked in a 2003 F-250 Crew cab? I just changed the door handle, now the door seems to be frozen shut and locked. I can't unlock it even manually after pulling the panel.

Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

I assume the door will not open from the inside nor outside?
Which handle on the rear passenger door was replaced?
Do you have power door locks?

Customer:

Won't open insode or out. Correct.

Customer:

Replaced the rear outside, passenger handle mechanism.

Customer:

Yes on the power door locks.

Customer:

Any thoughts or ideas?

Customer:

Should I stay at teh computer and see what you come up with or go back down and wrangle with this? Is it going to be a while for your response?

Chris (aka- Moose) :

I am about to respond.

Chris (aka- Moose) :

Have you removed and or disconnected the power door lock actuator to see if you can get it unlocked at the latch inside the door. So far its looking like a bad door lock actuator but I need you to do the prior steps to see.

Customer:

Where is that disconnect? No I haven't.

Customer:

Is the disconnect in the door or somewhere else? I'm feeling around in there but can't feel a plug of any kind. I do see and feel wires going towards the locking mechanism, but can't see how to disconect. I have the other door panel off and open so I can see what's happening.

Customer:

The other door works fine, manually as well as electronically.

Chris (aka- Moose) :

The actuator is on the latch and has a rod going up to the lock knob. Try to push this rod up then open the door. If you cant get the rod up then use a hammer and tap the latch and try it. If all this fails then you have to pretty much beat the latch apart to get the door open so you can replace the latch and actuator.

Customer:

Does replacing the door handle hve anything to do with this? Or is it just coincidence?

Customer:

I'll try that, but it looks like it will end up at the Ford Garage, which I hate. No other suggestions? Does it have anything to do with the power door lock actuator? Did you find out how to disconect that?

Chris (aka- Moose) :

So far it is looking like coincidence since it worked after the repair. To disconnect the actuator the latch has to be removed which cant be done unless you break it off or remove the screws holding the latch on from the door jam which you cant access, It can be the actuator if you cant get the lock knob up.