Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ford taurus: front wheel..brake cyl and the three bolts..assembly…

Customer Question
ford taurus 99 front wheel...
ford taurus 99 front wheel barings. I have removed the brake cyl and the three bolts in
the rear for the assembly. It doesn't budge. I've put a gear puller on the center bolt to
pull the assembly off. No luck. The axcle metal sleeve seems to still turn with the assembly. What to try next and what have I not unattached??>

chris
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: CTFordTech, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

You need to pound the hub out of the knuckle with a big hammer. It is kind of a press fit part and over time it just gets stuck in there pretty good. Make sure you have the nut for the axle off and try and tap the axle partially through the hub and then hit the backside of the hub to pound it out.

It would seem the axle (cv sleeve) has to be taken off also to access the rear of the assembly ? tap the axle from the rear or front?

Remove the axle nut on the front side and tap the axle through as fas as you can towards the back side of the hub. The axle only slides into the back side.

Look at the picture below. The bottom arrow shoes the direction to hit the axle and the top arrow shows where to hit the hub. You can hit the hub on any portion of the flange.

graphic

Everything is loose on the inside (axle) but the press fit triangler piece in front of the assembly that hold the three bolts from the rear is like welded on. Doesn't budge. Anything to pry it loose? Any methord? axle moves the assemble does not.
Yes it will seem like it is welded and will take a lot of effort to remove. About the only thing I can recommend other than a Big hammer is spraying a penetrating oil in the seam where the hub meets the knuckle.