Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1993 ford f150: 5.0 - I need to know how to get the old one off…

Customer Question
I bought a new mlp...
I bought a new mlp sensor to put in my 1993 ford f150 - 5.0 - I need to know how to get the old one off?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Which transmission ?
how do i know which one it is?
Does it have OD, if not it is a C6 if you have OD, I need the tag information.graphic

ok i got most but some was not there .... * means i couldnt see the number or letter ....

F2*P-EA

P*A-BA9

00076040

DB-2M18

Ok go to the drivers door jam under the TR listing on the vehicle certification label. It is easier but may be tougher on my end.

ok if you are looking for the letter under TRANS on the label it is E

It is an E4OD, do you see where it is located on the transmission ? Left side (drivers)/
yes it is on the drivers side
After the bolts are removed you will likely need a hammer & chisel or an air hammer. That sensor has probably never been off, sorta locked in place for life now. You will need to break it.
ok but I can't even get all the bolts to come off the one in the middle that is connected to a lever.. how do i get that one off?
There is no bolt in the middle, thats the shift shaft. Once you break the sensor you should be able to get those two smaller bolts that have the 8 or 10 mm head.
I have to break the old sensor to get it off the shift shaft?
Yes more than likely. It is probably seized on there.
ok i just want to make sure cause every time i tried to loosen the nut on the shift shaft it just turns the shaft and doesnt loosen it.. so i should take the two smaller bolts off and then break it from around the shift shaft ... but then how do i get the new one over the shift shaft nut?
There is or should be no nut on the shift shaft, pull the small bolts, about 3 hits and break the old sensor off. Do not hit the shift shaft .

http://go2convert.com/p/1277495494464.jpg here is a link to the pic of it ... there is a nut in between the two small bolts

Ok, I can't argue with that, soak it with some rust penetrating spray, it should zip off easy with an impact. Makes me wonder if that is the original, 18 years I guess anything is possible or there may have been updates during production.

it probably is the original after we bought it and started replacing parts we found alot of original parts on the truck... will soak it with the spray but how do I get the lever not to move when I turn the bolt? cause every time I tried to loosen it turns with the nut

Are you using an impact ?
no I don't own one ... will that keep the lever from moving?  I don't think there is enough room for one
You should still be able to break it loose after soaking it.

ok gonna give it a try

keep me posted
Finished ?
no I still can't get the rusted nut to come off ... guess it's going to have to go to the garageFrown
Did you try stopping at a small shop that might just zip it off with an impact for you ? Then just snug it back on to get home.
ok gonna take it to the shop near here sometime this week
Give it a try, we do free stuff like that all the time.