Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Ford Taurus: 98,000 miles on it..drove..winter..cool…

Customer Question
Im driving a 1999 Ford...
Im driving a 1999 Ford Taurus with 98,000 miles on it. I bought a year ago and drove it all winter with no problems or complaints other than the heater didn't seem to work all the time. After the car had been running for a while the heat would turn on, then eventually turn cool. Then come summertime, I went and had my oil changed. As it seems to be getting warmer out, my car starts dying randomly. Seems to be after driving at interestate speeds for little while, while coming to a stop on the off ramp it just dies, no chugging, no warning. After about an hour I can start it back up. I took it to ford, they messed around with it for an hour, pulled some codes, but said that the codes wouldn't really corresponde with the problems i am having with it. So I took it to another place for second opionion and had be change my spark plugs my fuel filter, as well as do a routine tune up. None of which fixed the problem. The car has now sit for a month without running, drove it to work today, it started chugging but continued to run for a while, chugged off and on during theXXXXX then got off the interstate and it died at the light. My friends dad ran codes and this is what came up on the computer
P0122- TPS/Pedal Position
Sensor A
Circut low imputs
P1504- ? he didnt right down that one
P1744-MOD
Manufacturer Control
Transmission
and
P0401- MOD
ERG flow insufficent
Will any of these be a cheap and quaranteed fix? If not where should I start? I have already put $400 into trying to fix the problem. i dont want to spend anymore just to find it doest work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Also would like to add that there is a slight grinding noise when the fan for the engine kicks in. Its not loud at all and barely noticeable, you have to have the radio of to hear it, but you can feel it as well.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

Grinding fan, its most likely loose mounted or cracked or the motor is failing because the bearings are bad, all can be checked visually and with your hands.

Stalling at lights and not starting, check the fuel pressure when this occurs, its likely to be a fuel pump fatigued and getting to hot and seizing till it cools.

P0401 replace the DPFE sensor and remove the EHR valve and clean the ports in the intake.

P0122 replace the throttle position sensor after checking for a possible wiring issue.

P1504 replace the idle air control valve after checking for a possible wiring issue.

P1744 not a cheap fix, this means you need to have the torque converter replaced and the main control valve body rebuilt.