Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

89 E350: high rpm..20 minutes..the engine idle speed..few minutes…

Customer Question
Ref: Ford 89 E350...
Ref: Ford 89 E350 5.8L

Idle is getting out of control -real high rpm- I would drive for 20 minutes w/o problems, then, the engine idle speed would rise up and stay up. Only way to calm it down is to stop the engine and start it back on. But this fix only lasts for a few minutes. The condition is dangerous because the engine always wants power up the transmission more than necessary.
I have just replaced the idle control valve so, unless I have a bad replacement, it should not be the issue.
While I was doing the part replacement, I installed a stop cock inline with the heater core coolant line return. This was done to avoid having the coolant warming up heater cores in summer. Yes, in winter, I would turn the valve open. I am mentioning it just in case I messed up a sensor or someother control by stopping the normal coolant routing.

Any suggection as to what could cause this problem?
Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/24/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX this can effect the idle, the throttle body has coolant lines going tomit, have you tried opening the valve that you installed and seeing if it idles properly?

I am not able to test this now. Will need to test in the evening today.

I did notice a coolant line going to the throtle body but is it not fed from main coolant line, instead of the heater core line?

Thanks

let me kno what you find,Tim

Ok I will test and check coolant line at throtle body.

Thanks

anytime my friend, Tim

Tim,

I am sorry for the late reply.

The problem was not the coolant line. Anyway, the throttle body was still getting its coolant.

After checking the OBD error code and reading my service manual, I located the problem as: bad throttle position sensor.

The van runs very nicely now, after replacing the TPS.

Thanks for trying to help.

Please understand that I cannot accept your answer.

Regards