Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford ranger: 1988 I believe with a 2.9 L v6

My neighbor has a Ford...
My neighbor has a Ford ranger 1988 I believe with a 2.9 L v6. The problem is a no start when hot.
6/24/2010
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Which pump have you replaced?

Both , but last night only the frame pump ( for the second time )
If you are getting air out of the Frame pressure pump that means the rear lift pump as failed, when the pumps overheat , this causes the fuel to foam and that causes the air you are getting from the frame pump. This problem will always show up in hot weather. Your going to need to replace the lift pump again.
Okay - will try that this evening and get back to you. Thank You!
Your welcome, Try and stay away from the lower end pumps, they dont do well in hot weather.
What do you mean lower end?
Like the cheep ones Auto zone sell. There junk in hot weather. Napa and or Car quest has a better quality pump.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
just getting to pump but will accept as am sure you have us going in the right direction. Will get back to you if I need more help. Thank You
Not a problem and your welcome as well. I am here if you need me.