Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I do to get my truck started, could it be the key needs programming

Customer Question
hi tim i need to...
hi tim i need to leave but i would like to know what else should i do to get my truck started, could it be teh key needs programming. if the engine is swinging does this then rule out the key problem
are you guys still there, i have been waiting now for almost an hour
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/24/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Monitor the THEFT light (Red LED) on the auto-lamp sensor located forward of the driver on top of the left side of the dash for a rapidly flashing light with the key in the RUN position.
If the THEFT light is flashing at a faster rate with the key on than it was with the key off, the PCM has recognized a Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) issue related to the ignition key.
then what should i do in this case, i bought the truck and just got one key and i do not have any keyless entry for this truck.
Well if there is a key issue, it's going to need to be taken to Ford. There really is no other way around that.
Is the vehicle cranking?

yes the vehicle is cranking very good, it just would not start, we sprayed fuel into the intake and it started.

but is has been cranking all the time, it just would not start, and we dont have ford here, because i am in the caribbean.

Well you wouldn't need a dealer you would need to find a mechanic with a tech 2 scanner or better. Thats a tough one., I will opt out so another exepert can assist with their advice as well. Hang tight.

so does this mean taht you give up on my case,

i am just beaten by this one, what i want to ask you is this, if the engine is turning does this rule out that the key is the problem.

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

I have responded to your other question. Sorry I am late, family issues. Below is a link back to the other question.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3nt8i-hellois-a-pendland-in-todaywe-bought-a-new-fuel-pump-and

I had to go back and look at your other replays to other experts.

If the "THEFT" light is flashing rapidly when you try to start the truck, then it is a key problem. But if the "THEFT" light does not flash rapidly, then check the fuses I listed in the other question.

Check these fuses under the hood in the battery fuse box.

F2.05

F2.29

F2.20

Make sure they have power on both sides of the fuse.

CLICK HERE FOR FUSE BOX DIAGRAM

These fuses control power to the ECU (engine computer). The ECU has to have constant power at all times to keep the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) in the ECU.

The PATS key will not cause the code P0603.