Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 ford explorer: camper..attach brake lights

Customer Question
i have a 2001 ford...
i have a 2001 ford explorer i just bought a popup camper and need to know where the brake plug is located so i can attach brake lights to my popup thank you in advance for your help leanne
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Are you looking for the flat 4 wire hook up? It will have running lights, turn signals and brake lights.
yes i believe so this is all new to me thankx
There is no plug in kit available from Ford or after market like NAPA or Carquest. You can buy the trailer plug and harness at any auto parts store. It will have to be manually spliced in place. There are 4 wires, connect white to ground, splice the brown to the running light wire, greeen to the right ide turn signal wire and yellow to the left side turn signal wire. If you do not have a test light or voltmeter, a local trailer rental shop should not charge more than $30-$35 plus the parts to do this. The colors shouild match to the vehicle.
went to arlington trailer and was told that there in not enough power to do that he said i have to go to the battery and back to trailer ???
With him saying that...they are not qualified to do this. There is no need to go to the battery for power, you are just adding lights that work as the vehicle lights are working.