Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Ford F-350: 6.0 diesel..4 hours and then jump it

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Ford...
I have a 2003 Ford F-350 6.0 diesel. Was hard to start when warm, had to wait 4 hours and then jump it. I was able to drive home and let it run for awhile and then revved it up some and died. I replaced both batteries as a parts store said they were bad. Has shown these codes; P0278, P0603, P0683, and P0670. What is the problem? I do have an Edge programmer and that is what is showing the codes.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/24/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX are a lot of different codes, but I think you have a few bad injectors, and some of the codes may be old codes, first thing you need to do is clear the codes and see which ones come back, then a cylinder contribution test must be done to identify which cylinders are effected, can you do this?
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
All of these codes come back after cleared
the 278 and the 603 are what I'm concerned about most one is a cylinder 6 missfire, and the 603 is a keep alive memory problem, have you cleaned the battery terminals real good, and checked the neg cable where it bolts to the block?
No but I will.
Let me know what you find,tim
Will do thanks
Everything with all the terminals is good and still will not start.

When you are cranking, does the oil pressure gauge come up?

Yes it does with the new batteries. It didn't with the old ones.
No, i mean does it the pressure come up on the gauge when cranking?
Yes it does
Ok, does it blow any smoke, black or white, when it cranks?

neither black or white I see nothing

Then you are lacking fuel, the next step is to have the high pressure oil pump checked, this is what controls fuel pressure to the injectors, it is common for these to go out or have the orings leaking and it will cause a no start,Tim