Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 Ford Windstar: power windows..relay..just the driver side that…

Customer Question
I own a 1995 Ford...
I own a 1995 Ford Windstar with power windows. I have replaced the window relay and still the windows do not work. At first it was just the driver side that didn't work. What else should I check to help eliminate what could be causing the windows not to work? The fuses are good.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/24/2010
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If you have a voltmeter or 12V testlamp here are somethings to check. Depending on what you find will determine the next steps in pinpointing the problem.

Check interior fuse panel fuses 34 and 40 with the key in the run position. Don't just inspect the fuse, verify there is battery voltage on both sides of the fuse with the key in the run position.

At the drivers window switch connector with the key in the run position check for battery voltage at the pink wire and at the light blue/black wire.

At the drivers window switch connector check for ground at all 6 black wires.

Let me know what you find...

Issued started with drivers side window but after replacing window relay both windows have stopped working. If the relay is good, is there a clicking sound it makes when pressing on window switch? Trying to figure it the problem is before relay or after relay connection.
The relay is for one touch down and is controlled by the generic electronic module. The passenger window should work with the relay disconnected.The first step is to know the answer to the checks that I asked you to perform.
Tested fuses 34 and 40. Nothing. Tested switch for passenger window - nothing. The driver side switch had continuity.

No power at either fuse, Correct??

Check fuse J in the engine compartment.

Tested Fuse J and it reads 12V along with a DC +

And you said the two interior fuses were dead correct????
Yes fuses 34 and 40 are dead when I tested them.
With the key on correct?
Yes the engine was running when I tested both fuses and both switches in the driver side door.

Ok good. You also need to check fuse 29 in the interior fuse panel for the battery saver relay. Take a look at the attached diagram and fuse panel diagram for relay locations. You will see that the battery saver relay when grounded by the GEM energizes the coil side of the accessory delay relay which closes and allows current to flow from fuse J through the accessory delay relay which powers fuses 34 and 40 to power the windows. Either of the relays can be bad, the gem can be bad, or any of the wiring. If you find relays that have the same pin configuration you can swap them out for testing purposes. After that it gets fun. You will have to pull the fuse panel to access the wire colors for the relays and check for power (follow the diagram) and for ground coming from the gem with the key on. If the relays are both good and fuse 29 is good, then it is time to pull the fuse panel and start performing wiring checks. A ford scanner can pull codes from the gem that would give an idea as to what circuit is having the problem. Unless you want to have it scanned at the dealer then these wiring checks will be necessary.

graphic

graphic

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Checked fuse 29 and it has power running through it. Tried to get fuse panel to remove from its metal frame and was unsuccessful because of a group of wires that were already tight (not enough wire to pull panel down). Thank you for your help in eliminating where some of the issues could have been.

Your welcome