Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 ford mustang: 000 miles..I have checked the alternator it is…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 ford...
I have a 2001 ford mustang with 74,000 miles. Here's my problem,it will not stay crunk. I have checked the alternator it is fine, and I bought a brand new battery. I have to get a boost off to start it back up. However, the boost will only last around 24 hrs.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/23/2010
Ford Mechanic: Fix It Man, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Hello JACUSTOMER, does this typically only happen when the vehicle has sat around 24 hours?
It does not have to be 24 hrs it has been longer or shorter. I can drive it all day, but when I turn the car off I have to get a boost again.
What is the shortest amount of time this has happened in?
i would say about a day and a half.
Okay. If the alternator has checked out and is fine then the problem is with an electrical draw. This is typically an issue in the vehicle module or int he ignition switch. You would need to do a draw test to find the problem.
How would I go by getting a draw test performed..
If this is something you plan on fixing yourself you would need a voltage meter with an amp draw gauge. If you do not plan on doing this then most shops can do this for you.
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Since I am a female and dont have clue I will find a shop to perform it. Thanx for all your help....

No problem. If you need any other help or have any questions about what the shop tells you please let me know. Have a good day.