Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

driving and you put your car in reverse by accident

Customer Question
What happen if you...
What happen if you are driving and you put your car in reverse by accident?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/23/2010
Ford Mechanic: moir123,
 replied 8 years ago
moir123

it will not select reverse gear while driving, it will just grind your teeth in your gearbox.

My son stated that when it happen he immediately put it in drive and it would not go anywhere so he had to drive home in 3rd. When I got ho9me I tried to back it up and it does not do anything.
Ford Mechanic: moir123,
 replied 8 years ago

in that case unfortunetly he must of slammed it in reverse an has damaged the transmission.remove the auto pan and filter and see what the condition of it.

What should he look for when he removes the pan and filter.
Ford Mechanic: moir123,
 replied 8 years ago

you will know if it's stuffed, there might be bits of metal in the oil,and possible chunks.