Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

01 F-150: power to tow a trailer..ball hitch on the bumper..pulling…

Customer Question
We are going to be...
We are going to be moving my sister from Michigan to Maryland in a couple weeks. My '01 F-150 has the power to tow a trailer, which is what we intended to do; just rent a U-haul. It has a ball hitch on the bumper that claims it can safely tow 5000 lbs, not that I plan on pulling but half of that.

Our concern is the hilly/mountainous region we have to go through to get there; do you think that without the proper towing package/transmission oil cooler my truck will survive the pull?

I personally am concerned, though I think as long as we took it easy, it would do the job just fine. The transmission shifts very cleanly through all the gears, and the rear end is in good shape. Both have new fluid/oil. The only towing the truck has ever done is a smallish fishing boat a few times. Also, do you think, to pull 2000 pounds, that I would need a trailer brake controller?

Various specs: 5.4L V8 @190,000 miles. SuperCrew body style,XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/23/2010
Ford Mechanic: CTFordTech, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

You should be fine towing the 2,000 lbs or so with your F150. Your F150 should already have an transmission fluid cooler located in the front of the vehicle. I don't believe you will have any problems towing the weight.

The truck doesn't have a towing package, just a ball on the bumper. I looked and could not locate a transmission cooler attached to the main radiator.
Ok, most F150's came with the cooler but there were a select few that didn't. I have worked kn many and I don't recall one that didn't have one, but I believe your may not. I wod recommend adding one just to be in the same side. Any local repair shop should be able to get one from a local parts distributor that is universal figment.
Any idea how much I should expect to pay for it?
A cooler can range from $50-250 depending on how big it is but you should not need anything too big. Installing one should take a shop about 2 hours to do so.
Alright, let me try to clarify myself a little. I realize there is a standard transmission oil cooler that runs through the main radiator in the front of the car. It is also my understanding that if you purchased the tow package, there would be an auxiliary cooler mounted to the main radiator that performed essentially the same purpose. I would assume that my truck has the standard cooler, but not the secondary one.

Also, if it means anything, the trip will cover over 400 miles one way (with the weight of the trailer). Should this be a cause of concern, considering the hilly terrain?
It should not cause any problems. I have seen some people tow 2 times the weight and have no problem on there drive cross country.