Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 ford explorer eddie bauer: out cold air..hose..sound right…

Customer Question
we have a 2003 ford...
we have a 2003 ford exployer eddie bauer, and the a/c doesn't blow out cold air.
the ford dealer states that it is a hose and will cost about $1500 to repair does that sound right
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2010
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! Did they give you a list of what is going to be done?

Customer:

replace main hose, its leaking going to replace and recharge system

carguy1 :

Ok, this is the hose coming off the compressor? There are 2 hses off the compressor. I suspect the labor is quite high because they have to remove quite a bit to route the hose. If I new which one for sure I could be more accurate with a cost

carguy1 :

plus they do have to evacuate and recharge the system, this is likely included in the estimate as well

Customer:

he just said the main hose

carguy1 :

I think the price is high. I am looking at labor for all of the hoses and the most expensive one only calls for 2 hours labor. Even if I added a couple hundred for the evac and recharge I can't see it being that high

carguy1 :

honestly for that kind of money,there has to be more

Customer:

I will try and call him to give me a better explanation of what the charges are for.

carguy1 :

ok,I think that would be best. I don't want to call them a liar!!.

Customer:

Do you have any Idea of what it should cost

carguy1 :

I don't have the price of the part, but the labor should only be a couple hours, which even at $100 an hour is $200, plus maybe another $200 for the evac and recharge so that is only $400. That would indicate the hose is $1100....

Customer:

can i get back with you later

carguy1 :

yep, just reply and I will get an email if I am not on. I do have to step out for a couple hours later this afternoon but I will be back on this evening

Customer:

thank you

carguy1 :

you are very welcome!

carguy1 :

here is a list of the hose descriptions I have

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Here is a list of the hoses as described for me
it might help us figure out which is being replaced
graphic