Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford: truck dies..The cam sensor was replaced

Customer Question
The truck died while running...
The truck died while running. the engine now turns over but does not start.
The cam sensor was replace by ford a couple of months ago, I put the older one back in that I purchased a few years ago and that did not help.
I cleaned the battery connections, still no help.
There appears to be an inline full pump that is humming prior to start up.
There is also a clicking noise on the top of the engine.
1999 ford f250 7.3 Diesel
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/22/2010
Ford Mechanic: Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

please verify that the Check engine light is coming on for the bulb check when you turn the key on?

also verify if the wait to start light is coming on?

let me know

Paul

The check engine light does not come on now, but did come on in the morning on the day

that the truck died on the road.

The wait to start light does come on at start .

the check engine light should come on for a bulb check for a few seconds

if it is not lighting up at all even for the bulb check then we have an issue with the computer powering up

please verify it does not come on at all even for the bulb check?

do you have a code reader? it would also help to verify there is no communication between the computer and the code reader

sorry for the delay in this response but I really need to double check the light is out even on initial bulb check?

thanks

Paul

One light said "service engine soon" for a second.

My obd II pocket scan said NO Codes.

Please verify that fuse #30 (30 amp)

in the central junction block is good and getting power to both sides.

also check the 20 amp fuel pump fuse has power and is not blown

when you crank it over are you getting an RPM reading on the gauge?

let me know if you find anything with these fuses and if RPM is reading at all

Paul

#30 is 30 amp

Checked all fuses and they are good. I am not sure which one is the fuel fuse.

I do not get an RPM reading on the gauge

if you are getting no RPM signal

it is most likely a problem in the cam sensor or circuit

do you have a meter to verify you are getting the 5 volts signal and ground to the sensor?

a compatible scan tool would be very helpfull in monitoring RPM and FUEL pressures also

click here to view the Camshaft Sensor test

let me know if the 5 volts and ground are there with the key on.

the old cam sensor that you put back in why was it replaced originally?

Paul

I replaced the original cam sensor a couple of years ago when it failed. The new one was put in by ford on a recall. Both of them should be good.

I do not have a tester for the voltage.

it sounds to me like the sensor may have failed again because you have no RPM signal

you will need to verify this voltage to the sensor connector also

I would suspect the cam sensor has failed again or there is a power/ground issue to the connector

Paul

one more question.

I read that these engines may have problems with a relay switch to the gas pump not working.

Could that be an issue here.

because you have no RPM signal

I would be thinking the camshaft sensor is the problem

there are common problems with glow plug relays and injector driver modules and fuel pumps

but you should be seeing some RPM reading while cranking

you will need a compatible scan tool to verify fuel pressure is ok.

this type of diagnostic would cost 100 dollars.

but considering there is no RPM signal I would not suspect the fuel pressure being the issue

Paul

Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
thank you

No Problem

thank you for using Just Answer

Paul