Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 f-150: 5.4 liter..liter engine..the miles are highway miles…

Customer Question
have you ever heard of...
have you ever heard of an engine going out on a 2006 f-150 5.4 liter engine with 118000 miles. Majority of the miles are highway miles. The truck has never been dogged out and service was performed as required.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/22/2010
Ford Mechanic: Fix It Man, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
HelloCustomer what part of the engine failed?
I have a noise coming from the bottom of the engine. I took it to ford and they believe I may have thrown a rod or something else have come loose.
Okay. I have seen this engine have problems with the timing chain and with the valvetrain, but it is not common for the rods to have problems unless the vehicle was not well taken care of. Were the oils changes done regularly? Was the vehicle used to tow anything?
Oil change regularly and I have never used it in tow. It doesn't even have a hitch installed. Ford tried to blame it on me not using motor craft oil and filter and the fact that i had installed a K n N air filter.
Okay. The air filter would not have done this and neither would the oil. A cheap oil filter can cause problems but you cannot blame engine damage like this on a filter. If the vehicle has been taken care of then it sound more like a manufacture defect. Unfortunately if you are out of warranty you more than likely will not get any help with this.
That's where I'm at now. I actually had it towed to a different shop, non Ford, because Ford was pushing pretty hard for me NOT to have the engine torn down to see what actually happen and just go ahead and replace it. I thought this to be odd behavior. I was assuming they would want to know what happen just in case it is something that can be prevented in someone else's case.
That is a good idea to have another shop check it. If it sounds like the lower end of the engine it may be a problem with the torque converter and not the engine.