Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 ford f-150: 4x4..pedal..slow down..next morning and runs great…

Customer Question
Three different times now my...
Three different times now my 1995 ford f-150 4x4 5.0 has acted like it was running out of gas i can feather the pedal at first but then it takes pumping it to keep it going. Sometimes it will get a little better but eventually it dies when ihave to slow down for a light or something. It has always started back the next morning and runs great for another month or so but it has done it twice in the last two days and i had to leave it 40 mi away. Now i believe it is actually flooding because i pressed the valve stem on the fuel rail until there was no more pressure and it starts runs but progressively gets worse and dies again within minutes. I can prolong it dying by pumping the pedal quickly but it dies and will only start back if i give it time or release the pressuzre on the line. Fuel pressure regulator?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/22/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Hello!
I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphram has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!
there is no gas leaking or in the vaccum hose

Ok.. good!

Your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. It may be bad causing your condition. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

The position of the IAC pintle affects engine start up and the idle characteristics of the vehicle. If the IAC pintle is open fully, too much air will be allowed into the manifold. This results in high idle speed, along with possible hard starting and a lean air/fuel ratio. If the IAC pintle is stuck closed, too little air will be allowed in the manifold. This results in a low idle speed, along with possible hard starting and a rich air/fuel ratio. If the IAC pintle is stuck part way open, the idle may be high or low and will not respond to changes in engine load.

Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection. Refer to Diagrams.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..

the iac motor is new as well as the tps,egr,distributor,cap,rotor,ign. module,fuel pump/filter,plug wires,re-did the vaccum lines,coil,pcv valve,battery and tons of other stuff not related. I have also removed throttle body and cleaned it well 4 to5k miles ago. it ran super after all that till this. i went and pikd it up this morning and it ran great for the 60mi drive just as i expected it to do. Can the f.p.r. still give the system to much pressure without diaphram being torn or showing signs of a hole,etc. I am a pretty decent ford mech. its all i have ever driven but this one has been one puzzle after another. was that a bad year 95' eddie baur 4x4 regular cab short bed 5spd 302.
It is possible that the fuel pressure regulator is still bad. HOwever this is not very common. We would need to check fuel pressure with the vacuum line on and off the regulator to see if there is any change.