Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F150: I adjust my gear shift..automatic transmission..lever

Customer Question
how do I ajust my...
how do I ajust my gear shift on my f150 automatic transmission. I have to move the lever to the nutrail position if I can find it to start the truck
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Hello.

Is the shifter out of alignment?

Customer:

I guess so

Customer:

I have to apply the emergancy brake to keep it from rolling, and have to jiggle the lever in nutral to get it to start.

Ron :

Does the shifter feel loose and sloppy?

Customer:

yes I think so

Ron :

The common cause for this type of problem is the screws for the shift tube are know to come loose and this cause a sloppy shifter, Remove the lower panel below the colunm and lower the colunm, You will be to see the screws, there are 4 on top and 2 in the rear.

Full Size Image