Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 98 EB Expedition. 190K miles. Purchased new in 98.

Customer Question
I have a 98 EB...
I have a 98 EB Expedition. 190K miles. Purchased new in 98. In 2000, #5 fuse burned out and was replaced at dealership. All service and recalls have been performed routinely. Last week, #5 fuse burned out. Replaced and went on my way. 3 days later, fuse burned out again. Replaced with 20A fuse and went on my way. 2 days later, fuse 20A fuse burned out when I start vehicle with AC on high. ( now I am on the hunt to figure out what is causing.) Last night, fuse burned out again when I was parking ( reverse ). Replaced with 25A fuse today and drove to pool with A/C on high. (1.4 miles) I placed vehicle in reverse when parking and fuse burned out again. (%%^*&%() . Have read several blogs on electrical issues revolving around Door Blend Actuator or speed control servo.

Any suggestions on how to isolate and correct what is causing this re-occurring fuse burn out?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/21/2010
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
There are several tsb on electrical gremlins on this truck...The number one causE is a windshield seal leak causing water intrusion on the fuse box and the gem. If this is the case the windshield would need to be resealed and the gem and the fuse box replaced
Yes I read that cause, but, I live in Dallas and the vehicle has not been wet. No rain in 30 days. Any other advice? Fuse burn out seems to only happen when A/C is on MAX, Blower is on High & I put the vehicle in reverse.
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try my best to help you with your question.

New Expert here.

You state it only blows when putting the vehicle in reverse?

of course with the AC on max.

Try to repeat the fuse blowing but leave the AC off. I know it''s hot in Dallas, I lived in Plano years ago when they only had 1 Senior High School. The Wildcats.

But see if the fuse will blow with the AC off in reverse.

Have driven all day. Each time I stop the vehicle, I turn the A/C off just before turning the ignition off. When I start the vehicle, If I was backing up, I wait till shifting into drive before turning the A/C on and blower on high. Fuse has not blown today when following that series of steps. ( Yes, it is 102 today ).

D

Do you have manual AC controls, the 3 knobs?

Or Electronic with digital display?

I have the manual High, Medium, Low selector knob for the fan speed and the manual selector knob for the A/C, Heater, Defrost, and off.

I think it may be your AC compressor clutch causing the circuit to blow. It could be drawing too many amps and when you place the vehicle into reverse, the backup light come on and the fuse blows with the AC on and the compressor running. It didn't blow the fuse with the AC off in reverse, just with the AC on. We can eliminate the AC compressor by unplugging the field coil on the front of the compressor and take it out of the circuit and see if the fuse blows with the AC switch set on max and placing the vehicle in reverse. If the fuse does not blow, then the AC compressor field coil is shorting the circuit causing extra load when the AC is on.

If this is the case..........is the A/C field cole replaceable on the compressor or will a new compressor have to be purchased and installed?

The field coil is replaceable separately. But you will have to remove the compressor to replace it.