Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

98 f150 clunks after putting into drive...only.

Customer Question
98 f150 klunks after putting...
98 f150 klunks after putting into drive...only. automatic tranny, new u joints, and hubs installed already, nothing seems "loose"
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Ford Mechanic: John Crouch, Ford Mechanic replied 8 years ago
John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will answer your question. Most likely there is some play in the rear axle (either play or lash between the ring and pinion or the spider gears from normal wear and tear. One thing that will help this is to take the driveshaft out and put some teflon grease on the splines where the yoke goes into the transmisson. if the driveshaft is a 2 piece design pull apart the 2 halfs and do the same in the splines there as well. this will usually eliminate close to 80% of the noises in the drivetrain when going into drive or reverse.