Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1987 Ford Ranger 4x4: gets warm.....Replaced o2..tps and no change…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 1987...
Hi I have a 1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 that loads up when warm....starts fine...runs fine cold...then gets warm and ...
Replaced O2 and collant sensor and TPS and no change so far
Steve
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 day by:
6/21/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello!

You could have a bad mass air flow sensor. Or the snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body could be ripped. Both are very common and can cause you vehicle to loose power along with many other drive ability issues. First look for cracks or rips or anywhere air can enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Next comes the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is a very important sensor input to the computer. It uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio. If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off causing severe performance issues. In extreme cases, I have seen these two problems cause a no start condition. This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control, shift and torque converter clutch scheduling. The check engine light may even pop on if the sensor is bad, the snorkel is ripped or a tube has fallen off. This will result in a lean condition.

Amedee, thanks. I don't understand why the MAF would read/tell computer differently the flow of air when the truck is cold....start up and it runs fine, even power and smooth.....get into traffic and warm and then it loads up

Maybe because the engine goes into closed loop when it warms up.

Thee sensors go bad all the time

You can try dissconnecting it when this happens and see if the engine runs any better.

A, tks will try and get back to you...

Steve

SOunds good!
A, no change
Ok.. do you have a scanner or a voltmeter?

A, tried unhooking MAF and no change....any other thoughts?

I also thought that with the miles the cat/convert may get some exhaust/engine oil that would not affect running cold but would choke off flow when warm....?

THis is very possible!

Check the o2 sensor readings under wide open throttle when it is loading up. If the o2 sensor goes lean, then you have a fuel delivery concern.

A will check with friend later that has ability. The new o2 is a ford part with no fingerprints during install.........
SO if the part is new, the the reading should be reliable. If it is lean when this happens, then we have a fuel delivery concern.