Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Ford Explorer: coded..release..The manual says a No Start…

Customer Question
A non-coded key was inserted...
A non-coded key was inserted in the ignition of my 2002 Ford Explorer, and now it is stuck. Is there a way to release the key? The manual says a "No Start" Condition could became activated by using wrong key, but the manual doesn't tell you how to fix the condition. It was a key marked "Ford" that my wife found in her desk drawer and it fit into the door lock (but she didn't try turning it) so she thought it was the correct key for the vehicle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/20/2010
Ford Mechanic: jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician
There is no easy way to get the stuck key out, wd40 can help. We have had success by using compressed air. While injecting compressed air into the cylinder,use pilers to pull on the key at the same time. If this is not successful the key cylinder will need to be replaced.