Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 Fusion Hybrid: our much anticipated first road trip..get it towed…

Customer Question
I purchased a 2010 Fusion...
I purchased a 2010 Fusion Hybrid after much deliberation (comparing it with Prius and Camry Hybrid) a couple of months ago.
Last Friday while getting ready for our much anticipated first road trip (from Dallas to Houston) to see our daughter, the car would not start. I had to get it towed in to the Ford dealership and I picked it up the following Monday. I was told that the front battery was low but after charging it seemed to perform ok and I took the car home.
Yesterday I got in the car to go for my doctor's appt and the same thing happened again. It would not start - I must have tried it 10 times or more. I have a small multimeter and the voltage across the battery was barely 10 volts. I had to get it towed to the dealership again. I am waiting for the dealership to call me on what they found.
I would appreciate it very much if anyone could chime in with what could possibly be going on here and how can I prevent this from happening again?
Thank you very much.
P. R. Patel
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/19/2010
Ford Mechanic: CTFordTech, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

It sounds like you may just have a weak battery that losses its charge over a short period of time. The dealership should just replace the battery and just recheck the electrical system to be sure there is nothing drawing from the battery.

I find it hard to believe that I can have a weak battery in a brand new car. Also, if that was the case, why didn't I have any problems for the first six weeks? The dealership did a thorough check on the battery and convinced themselves that it was ok. I am more inclined to believe that there is an electrical malfunction in the Fusion Hybrid that that this may have been experienced by other customers and Ford technicians. Because of space limitations, I did not get a chance to mention earlier that when the car was taken to the dealership the second time yesterday, it started right away while I could not start it with multiple attempts.
Ford Mechanic: John Crouch, Ford Mechanic replied 8 years ago
John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will answer your question. First, the 12 volt battery is not used to start the engine, the traction battery is (the large battery that is in the back of the car). If the 12 volt battery is thought to be bad the dealer MUST use the rotunda battery charger/tester to detemine if the battery is ok or not. If the battery fails the tests, it will give a couple of codes that must be turned in to Ford on the warranty claim or Ford will not pay to replace the battery.

The big problem with the Ford Hybrid vehicles is that we really do not see many issues with them at all. I had a Escape that drove me crazy about a year ago. It would shut down when driving, found a short finally in the wiring harness under the console that was causing it. I spent well over a week working on it and was in touch with a Ford Engineer several times a day until we figured out what was going on.

What I would sugest is that the facility working on your vehicle make sure that they do run oasis on the vehicle and make sure that they do utilize the assistance hotline to find out what it will take to correct the starting issue.

I will take for granted that the dealership has been able to duplicate the concern while it was there. This is the first step and if they cannot duplicate the issue they really cannot go any further without verifying the concern.

John - I was told by the dealer that the front battery is used to start the electric motor which is what first starts to run when you turn on the ignition. I can understand that the main hybrid battery may be needed to start the internal combustion engine.

I guess the main question I have for you now is why would the car not start at my home on Friday afternoon and it started at the dealership an hour later. Does that not point to an intermittent electrical malfunction, similar to what you described on your Escape? If that is the case what should I tell the dealership to look out for? They did tell me that they will contact the Ford engineer on this early next week.

Thanks.
P. R. Patel

My guess is there is a intermittant open at a connector or what is called a "fretted wire where it connects to a pin in a harness connector.

Whomever told you that the 12 volt battery starts the engine is incorrect. there is not a starter on this vehicle like a normal gasoline engine. the electric motor in the transmission that moves the car when the engine is off is what is used to start the engine and it is powered by the traction battery. Now if the traction battery happens to go dead there is a button that you can push that will charge the traction battery from the 12 volt battery for emergency starting, maybe this is what they did.

Hopefully once they get the field engineer involted they will get to the bottom of the intermittant issue.

If you can give me the complete VIN of the vehicle I can run it and see what pops up and the past history on the vehicle and maybe that will help.

Appreciate the note back, John.

I would appreciate if you can do any background check on the VIN of the car. It is 3FADP0L39AR350561.

I will be out of town until next Friday with intermittent access to internet. I will do my best to check as often as I am able to so I can see your response.

Thanks again.
P. R. Patel

I did run the VIN # XXXXX the only thing I came up with is there is a tsb for no start if the vehicle has not been started for over 50 days. I have seen this on stock units that have not been started or moved and the keep alive memory fuse must be removed for 15 seconds and reinstalled and then it will start. If your vehicle did not sit this long without being used I would not be concerned with this tsb.

I think it would be best that the FSE comes out and investigates the vehicle and can hopefully resolve your concern with it not starting.

Like I stated before there really has not been enough factory training on the technology of hybrid vehicles to Ford techs. The fact that they have specialized systems that are only used in Hybrids and that they dont fail very often makes it a little difficult to diagnose them properly. We used to have similar issues when Ford was selling vehicles that used Mazda's emmision system before OBDII came out. It was called "MECS" and we had the same issue. You would only work on one maybe once or twice a year and it was hard to get good at diagnosing them.