Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

explorer: drives..4WD..suspecting the fuel filter..engine compartment…

Customer Question
My daughter drives a 1993...
My daughter drives a 1993 4WD eddie bauer explorer. It's has very poor power and I am suspecting the fuel filter. I've looked around the engine compartment and can't see it.
Where is the fuel filter? Any other suggestions for poor power?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/18/2010
Ford Mechanic: lostrider, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician

Hi this is lostrider, here is a diagram of the fuel filter location, its mounted on the left frame rail under the truck, and you may also want to check your exhaust system to ensure the converters are not clogged up, that will cause a lack of power also, hope this helps.

graphic

REMOVAL

CAUTION: If the fuel filter is being serviced with the rear of the truck higher than the front, or if the tank is pressurized, fuel leakage or siphoning from the tank fuel lines could occur. To prevent this condition, maintain the vehicle front end at or above the level of the rear of vehicle. Also, relieve tank pressure by loosening the fuel fill cap. Cap should be retightened after pressure is relieved. If vehicle is warm, change the fuel filter before the pressure rebuilds.

1. Shut engine Off. De-pressurize fuel system. Use caution to prevent combustion from fuel spillage.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  3. Remove push connect fittings at both ends of fuel filter. Install new retainer clips in each push connect fitting.
  4. Remove filter from bracket by loosening filter retaining clamp enough to allow filter to pass through.

INSTALLATION

1. Install filter in bracket, ensuring proper direction of flow as noted by arrow. Tighten clamp to 1.7-2.8 Nm (15-25 lb in) . NOTE: The "flow" arrow direction should be positioned as installed in bracket to ensure proper flow of fuel through the replacement filter.
  2. Install push connect fittings at both ends of filter.
  3. Lower vehicle.
  4. Start engine and check for leaks.

Now that you mention it, the converter is probably the culprit. How do I go about having that tested? What kind of Harley do you ride?
Thank you for the reply, there is a special tool required for testing the converter, called Backpressure Tester, it screws in where the O2 sensor is and there should be no more then 1psi of back pressure, most exhaust shops should have this tool to do the testing, but if there is an Auto Zone near you they may have one in their loan a tool program. but the easiest way is take it to an exhaust shop that you trust. thank you for asking, I ride an 2004 Electra Glide Classic.
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
That's a nice ride for sure. I ride a 2006 Fat Boy. Thanks for your help.
Your welcome and thank you.