Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 explorer: 4wd..bump..rack and pinion,but the same problem.

Customer Question
2000 explorer 4wd.Steering wheel going...
2000 explorer 4wd.Steering wheel going shocking when I turned it when the car stood still.When I drive and hit a bump It start shimmying,even by 2 miles an hour.I replaced the rack and pinion,but the same problem.No spell on inner or outer ends or bal joints.No stocking U joint.
Meaby the pump?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/18/2010
Ford Mechanic: Shawn, Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Based on your description, the most common cause of the problem you are having is there is air trapped in the sytem and will do the same thing you have described, I am sending you instructions directly from Ford and how they recommend the procedure to be performed, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR PROCEDURE

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

That,s the way I did it.The problem starts without any leaks.Oil is clear.But I feel a litltle spell on the rack and thougt this caused the shimmying.That,s why I replaced a new rack.I bleeded it ,in the way they descriped,but the same problem.The feeling of shimmying stays when I turned the steeringwheel at idle,you can see the engine rocking.On higher RPM it seems less.When I drive the car on very low speed and hit a very little bump the steering wheel starts shimmying,at moderate speed you have to stop and I think on high speed it becomes better,but that is a risky thing
Where did you get the rack from?

Sorry for late reply.I become the rack from Cardone.I,ts a rebuilt rack.And yes,I know that this not guaranteed that this rack is ok,but 2 racks with the same problem?

The pump has a little clearance,but make no noise and is not leaking