Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

F-250: powerstroke..master..I've checked the vacuum lines..cuts

Customer Question
I got a 97' f-250...
I got a 97' f-250 powerstroke and i'm loosing brakes due to vaccum i think. I put a new vaccum pump and master cyclinder on about 2 months ago and brake booster about 6 months ago. I've checked the vaccum lines for dry-rot or any cuts but found nothin. the brake light in the dash will come on when the brakes are applied for any amount of time, or if the a/c is on while running. i can touch the accelerator and the light goes off. I'm LOST!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/18/2010
Ford Mechanic: Ron W., Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron W.
Ron W., Ford Technician

Hi there,

Sounds to me like a belt slipping problem from what you have described, like the tensioner is not right or something of that nature. Belt tensioner's on that vintage of truck, wear and start running the belt out of alignment and could also cause a lack of tension.

Let me know if this makes sense in your situation.

Sincerely,

Ron Wiggins

how much vaccum should the vaccum pump be pulling i checked the belts and pullies and they are riding smooth. Im starting to think i may have just got another bad vaccum pump.

The vacuum should be about 12-15 inches of vacuum but the key issue here is the VOLUME of vacuum available and if you can maintain vacuum under high usage like pumping the brake pedal a lot.

If you take the belt loose and try to rotate the vacuum pump there should be should be plenty of "spring" type resistance to rotation on a good pump.

Hi there,

Have you had any luck with your problem?

Let me know if I can help with anything further at all.