Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine that my dash lights and gages were not working..jumped…

Customer Question
I noticed before I shut...
I noticed before I shut off the engine that my dash lights and gages were not working. I went to start my car and it would not start. My husband jumped it and after sometime it started....I tried to drive it and it was sluggish and the lights went out again and then it shut down.

2002 ford explorer
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/17/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a bad alternator, when you jump start it, the battery is partially charged, but after awhile, if the alternator is not charging, then the battery will get low, and this will cause the dash problems and the no start and dying, replace he alternator and charge the battery fully and you will be good to go,Tim