Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 F150: 4wd..test driving it and it started to die at idle…

Customer Question
I just bought a 2007...
I just bought a 2007 F150 4wd. When I was taking it back after test driving it and it started to die at idle. I was still interested in the truck so I told the sales department thatif they would fix this that I'd take the truck. They called today and informed me that the engine will need to be replaced because the Cam Phasers are malfuntioning due to lack of oil pressure going to them. Is this a common problem with the 5.4L 3V. The truck has just under 40,000mi.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/17/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the engine has low oil pressure due to worn bearings, then yes, the engine will need to be overhauled, this is not typical of these at 40k, unless the oil was not changed enough, and if this is the case, then the rest of the truck was probably not maintained properly either, and i would steer clear of this vehicle,Tim
The truck visually is in emaculant shape and is a former lease vehicle. Carfax show nothing out of the ordinary. The Ford dealer told me that this is a rare occurance with this engine. I'm just wandering just how rare it really is.
we do see alot of Cm phaser problems, but not at this mileage, alot of lease vehicles dont get the required maintenace, they keep them visually perfect, because if they dont, they get charged at the end of the lease, but they dont service them as they would if they were going to keep the vehicle, it is the same with rental cars,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help.
Anytime my friend,Tim