Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hello,1995 Explorer, 4.0, 4x4, 82k miles, without warning, O.D.

Customer Question
Hello, 1995 Explorer, 4.0, 4x4, 82k...
1995 Explorer, 4.0, 4x4, 82k miles, without warning, O.D. light flashing, No second gear, shifts fron 1st right to 3rd. When driving and shifter is put in 2nd gear at about 30 mph it has no engagement, E.I. engine revs w.o engagement. Have heard there is a brake band that breaks. Looking for feedback on this.
Thanks, ken [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/17/2010
Ford Mechanic: Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech. replied 8 years ago
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

A broken intermediate band is the most likely cause of this sudden loss of second gear as you suspected.The PCM will flash the OD lamp when it senses a fault such as incorrect gear ratio with selected gear.The only repair for this is disassembling the transmission and replacing the band.Also inspect the servo for possible worn sealing surface.

Thats what I suspected. I am a MBZ master tech and am planning to do the work myself. This was my dads gently driven vehicle and I was planning to open it up and replace only the broken parts due to the low mileage. Any thoughts on what I should purchase?