Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ford aspire: hear a clicking sound..new battery and starter.

Customer Question
My sister has a ford...
My sister has a ford aspire i think a 1996. it will not start/rutn over. you can hear a clicking sound but nohting happend. IT does have a new battery and starter. There is no power light will not come on, wiper wont come on but door does ding. they said they did check some fues that was near battery of car they seam ok. the car will not not shift. they tried to shift into neatraul to push and nothing happens
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/17/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello!

First thing to do is check the battery. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or u can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side. If all checks out, make sure u have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced!

Relist: Answer quality.
his solution was what i already stated we did. I told him we already have a new starter and battery for the car. His answer told us to to the same thing

Hello!

Sorry for the miscommunication.

Do we have battery voltage to both terminals of the starter with the key in the crank position?