Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 RANGER: REPAIR SHOP..PSI..FUEL RAIL-LONG TERM FUEL TRIM..SPEC…

Customer Question
REPAIR SHOP,2002 RANGER 3.OL(U) WITH...
REPAIR SHOP,2002 RANGER 3.OL(U) WITH A LUMBERING IDLE.RUNNING FUEL PRESSURE 65PSIKEY ON, ENGINE OFF 65 PSI WE HAVE CHANGED FUEL FILTER & FUEL DAMPER ON FUEL RAIL-LONG TERM FUEL TRIM -4 TO -6 RUNNING FUEL PUMP PRESSURE SPEC ? ,FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR SERVICEABLE? LOCATION? XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello!

Are you saying that th engine does not idle very good?

How does the engine accelerate? Does it have plenty of power?

Are there any codes in the computer?

IDLES VERY POORLY,ACCELERATES FINE NO MIS-FIRE NO CODES NOW- CYL 4 MIS-FIRE MONTH AGO & HASN'TRETURNED IT'S A USED CAR DEALERS VEHICLE NO PLATES WERE GOING TO ROAD TEST TO GIVE YOU A GOOD ANSWER WE CANT SEEM TO GET A DEFINITIVE FUEL PRESSURE SPEC ANY CHANCE WE CAN CONVERSE OVER THE PHONE?

I wish we could but it is against Just Answer policy.

I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphragm has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!

Also, you might have an air or a vacuum leak. This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

Also, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..

A FUEL DAMPER ON FUEL HAS BEEN CHANGED IS THAT ANOTHER NAME FOR REG? NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO ANSWER.WHAT IS RUNNING FUEL PRESURE SUPPOSE TO BE? IS THE PRESSURE REG IN FUEL PUMP?WE 2 INLETS ON FILTER ONE COMING OUT TO FUEL RAIL

The fuel pressure regulator is attached to the fuel rail downstream of the fuel injectors. It regulates fuel pressure supplied to the fuel injectors. The regulator is a diaphragm-operated relief valve. One side of the diaphragm senses fuel pressure and the other side is connected to the intake manifold vacuum. Fuel pressure is established by a spring preload applied to the diaphragm.

The fuel pressure is supposed to be 64 ± 8 psi.

IS THAT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING?

That should be key on engine off. However, the key on engine running might be very close.

WE HAVEN,T REALLY GOTTEN ANYWHERE,HOW DO I CONTACT YOU LATER

Just respond to this question and I will get it.

Did you have any further questions? I have answered all of your questions haven't I?

I would be willing to bet your fuel pressure is not the issue unless the regulator or a fuel injector is leaking fuel into the engine.