Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Excursion: vacation and are pulling a trailer so i am

Customer Question
Hi- not sure if you...
Hi- not sure if you remember me...I had questions last week regarding my excursion running sluggishly. We ended up at our service/repair shop..ended up being a bad cellunoid? Now...we are leaving on vacation and are pulling a trailer so i am concerned about new problem. The battery keeps running low. We don't drive it a lot, and it had the repairs done to it. My husband jumped it for me, i drove it around for approx 30 mins. Next day it was dead. He jumped it again, ran about 20 min, and trickle charged on low overnight. Went to start this AM, it started albeit sluggishly. Once on, the ABS light came on and stayed on. Since we are pulling a trailer next week, i started to take it to our service shop and the light went off, didn't come back on for 10 mins. I turned around and came home, thinking it was because the battery was low. At home, turned off car, and tried to restart to check the light. At that point, the battery didn't even attempt to turn over and the gages were going crazy - jumping from the left to the right. Should i replace the battery or do you think it is something else?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX sounds like a bad battery, if the voltage gets low enough, the gauges and the relays will go crazy, replace the battery and while you are there, make sure the voltgage at the battery is 14.5 volts, with the vehicle running, if its then the alternator is good,Tim
Would this account for the ABS light staying on temperarily?
it can cause all kind of lights, you need to address the battery first,Tim