Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 taurus: hood let cool when hot then cranks normal..ecm..pcm ?

Customer Question
2001 taurus 3.0 ohv...
2001 taurus 3.0 ohv , no start when hot , sounds like starter falling apart, sounds like jumped time, if it does start surges on the road, in morning when cool everything normal, raise hood let cool when hot then cranks normal, batt good,alt good , starter does fine sounds fine when cool possible ecm -pcm ?? if i use key fob remote entry in hot weather it wont do anything -no start no noise - theft light wont go out... i need some help here.....many thanks ....mike in alabama
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello!

When this problem happens, the engine just cranks over and does not start?

Did you say the theft light is always on? Is this even when the engine is running?

Edited by AMEDEE on 6/15/2010 at 4:52 PM EST
if the theft light stays on i get no spin over no click ...nothing. when hot if it spins over i get all kind of noises from starter like one that has jumped time or has wet distributor. i let hood up and let it cool off and it cranks normal but it surges out on the road. in winter time it hardly ever acts up, runs normal. i was a gm ,nissan,and honda mechanic for 27 years-ase master tech-cert.silver honda-cert gold nissan, had to retire 10 years ago due to back injury and open heart surgury. this _ _ _ ford has got me baffled. keep on pulling those wrenches and let me know what you think my problem is. many thanks

IT sounds like we may have more than one problem going on. DO you want to start with the secuirty system or the crank no start?

Is it the starter that sounds bad or the engine making noise when you try to crank it over?

first question- begin with crank no start . second question- both make strange noises. i know this is a difficult problem to diagnose over the internet but so far you aint been much help.
Ok.. does the check engine light go off while cranking when the engine does not start?
the ck engine light goes off no codes stored

Sorry for the delay!

Does the engine run on starting fluid?