Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 F250: Powerstroke..running rough..idle (likes to jump..revs…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 F250...
I have a 2004 F250 Powerstroke Diesel. Just changed the two fuel filters and ran through a few tanks of Lucas Treatment and Slick50 Diesel/Kleen and the truck is still running rough at idle (likes to jump as revs increase momemtarily) and when cruising around 55 acts like it is not getting enough fuel. Any thoughts as to the problem? Does it need to be reprogrammed? I bought the truck in December 2009 and it had 26K miles on it so it sat alot before I got it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: Nathan Hosier, Senior Master Gas and Diesel engine replied 8 years ago
Nathan Hosier
Nathan Hosier, Senior Master Gas and Diesel engine
Hi what it sounds like is you have a cylinder missing probably due to a fuel injector down. You need to have the vehicle scanned and have a power balance test performed at your local ford dealer to tell you which cyl is missing.Also while you are there have the to make sure the ficm (fuel injector control module) is updated to latest level and calibration if not have them update the ficm at that time as well. Hope this information helps thanks let me know if you need anything else thanks

Nathan,

I read alot about the EBP Sensor being bad or the EBP tube being clogged. I've seen some maintenance tips on how to clean these. What do you think?

Well usually the ebp sensor affects the turbo it is what drives the turbo and how the pcm makes the turbo work. I would have the eng scanned and check for codes to make sure you dont have a eng miss. Before replacing the ebp and cleaning out the tube.Hope this helps thanks