Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Intermittent static in radio

Customer Question
intermittent static in radio
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/15/2010
Ford Mechanic: Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech. replied 8 years ago
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is the static more prevalent on AM or FM?

-Does it only occur when the engine is running and does it reflect engine speed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Actually I think AM always involves more static but I don't think it makes a difference in thisinstance. It only happens when the engine is running and it does reflect engine speed. There are times when it doesn't exist at all. I might start the car up and it is fine and I think it will stay that way until I turn the car off and then back on again. More important .. it affects cd play also which is a multy disc palyer in the trunk. i haven't tried the tape in the dash but I'd be willing to bet it would be the same. It has a removable face plate ( for security) and I've tried removing it wiggling it etc. I've checked all grounds . and there are a few. Looked for lose or broken wires. I remember in the old days that when we used copper wires (spark) we would put a filter on the coil wire at the distributor. Once while running a very high speed the thing exploded. Short of pulling out the entire radio and putting the stock radio back to see what happens I have run out of ideas. The replacement radio was installed when the car was new. It is not a recent installation. I've only had the car for less than a year. I listen to the pipes more than the radio but i would like it to worlk just the same.